Associate Director of Development
Compensation: $132,420.00 - $206,040.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Executive Management
Loading some great jobs for you...
American University of Beirut
Job Title: Associate Director of Development
Department: Office of Advancement
Division: Office of Development
Builds and manages relationships with current and potential annual fund and major gift donors (individuals and institutions) in order to increase philanthropic income for the university. Plans and executes effective frontline fundraising strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward annual fund and major gift donors. Success will be measured in terms of the number and quality of new prospects engaged in face-to-face visits; the effectiveness of cultivation and stewardship activities; the number, quality, and results of solicitations; and the achievement of fundraising targets (a minimum of $250,000 - $1 million annually). Collaboration with colleagues, faculty, and senior leadership is essential.
- Pro-actively manage and advance a portfolio of annual fund and major gift prospects and donors (approximately 150-200 individuals and institutions).
- Carry out 100 prospect identification calls, face to face visits, and solicitations per fiscal year (approximately 10 per month). Post holder will concentrate on the North Eastern region of the United States.
- Specialize in building the Danial Bliss Society and the 1866 Society into robust donor recognition programs across North America.
- Secure philanthropic support and meet ambitious fundraising targets of between $250,000 and $1 million annually, in support of university fundraising priorities.
- As appropriate, work with university leadership (e.g. president, vice president, associate vice president, deans, faculty) to ensure coordinated and effective solicitation of annual fund and major gift prospects.
- Ensure donor acknowledgement, stewardship, and reporting requirements are fulfilled in accordance with best practices.
- As appropriate, recruit volunteers and manage volunteer participation in fundraising activities in order to advance philanthropic giving.
- Participate in prospect strategy discussions and planning with colleagues in the Office of Development, and with other university offices as necessary.
- Partner with Alumni Relations team to build networking, professional, and AUB community connections at events (AUB and non-AUB) and face-to-face meetings.
- Work closely and maintain strong professional relationships with deans, faculty and staff, and other university constituencies, and build solid understanding of university and academic strengths and priorities.
- Work with deans, faculty, senior administration, staff writers, and others, as necessary, on the development of fundraising proposals.
- Draft correspondence to prospects/donors for the signature of the president, vice president, and deans when necessary.
- Maintain contact and prospect status reports, trip reports, and fulfill all other professional reporting requirements of the Office of Development. Carry out day to day tasks as assigned.
Frequent contact with deans and academic faculty. Regular contact with senior university administration (president, vice president, directors). Contact with university administrative offices. Regular contact with colleagues across the Office of University Advancement, and specifically the Office of Development.
Independence of Operation:
Reports to Associate Vice President for Advancement.
Works with a high degree of independence to represent the university and its priorities to potential and current donors through written, telephone, and personal contacts. Exercises personal judgment in the approach to donors and the involvement of senior management and volunteers. Achievement of goals is monitored with AVP for Advancement throughout the year. Ongoing collaboration with deans, vice president for advancement, associate vice president for advancement, and faculty.
Supervisory Responsibility: No supervisory requirements.
Physical Effort: Work regularly entails evening events and domestic, regional, and international travel.
Work Conditions: Clean and pleasant work environment.
- Bachelor's degree (Master's degree is a plus).
- A minimum of three years' experience in major gift fundraising, preferably in higher education, NGO, or a medical center, with a proven track record of success in generating philanthropic income.
- In lieu of direct fundraising experience, five years' experience in a field with strong public-facing transferable skills (e.g. marketing, sales, public relations, NGO administration, social work) with a measurable track record of success in achieving demanding objectives.
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multi-functional and diverse projects and to deliver against measurable goals.
- Ability to analyze situations, identify key information and issues, and advance objectives.
- Fluency in English including excellent English writing and verbal skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a diplomatic nature, and cultural sensitivity.
- Goal-oriented, self-directed, and entrepreneurial.
- Working knowledge of Arabic preferred.
- Knowledge of Middle East and experience traveling and living in Middle East highly preferred.
- Willingness to work evenings and travel as required.
The American University of Beirut is a 150 + year old institution of higher learning chartered in New York State and offering an American liberal arts education in the Middle East. It serves 8,000 students and has six faculties. AUB plays an outsized role in the region, contributing research, expertise, democratic thinking, and innovative solutions in an area of the world dealing with constant conflict and environmental threats. The New York City office supports the university and is a vital link to friends, alumni, and donors in North America.
Salary commensurate with experience.recblid 7608lzhrap8hdzlanflreqntilnown
Associated topics: administrative coordinator, administrative officer, administrative staff, administrative support, asso, associate, food, records management, staff, support
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...